[Loadstone] Bluetooth Receiver Questions

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Oct 6 13:05:52 PDT 2017

I haven't actually used a bluetooth receiver with the iphone but I've read
about what's required. First, you need a bluetooth receiver that's specified
as being compatable with the iPhone. There aren't too many of these as far
as I know and it means that all our receivers from the Symbian days are
completely useless. If you get a compatable receiver all you have to do is
connect it and the phone will use it, that's built in to the location
technology. This means that nothing special is required as far as any
programs that use gps go.
I don't know if this would give better accuracy or battery life. You'd be
trading use of the phone's GPS chip for the power required for a bluetooth
connection. In theory this should provide some battery saving but who knows
how much. I've found the phone's GPS to be quite accurate, at least as
accurate as my old iblue receiver. Even in the city it doesn't seem to
suffer from as much drift as the old receivers. Of course your milage will
very.