[Loadstone] Porting to Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 22 20:50:25 BST 2015

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2015/10/22 at 12:29 -0700]

>Well, not to get in to an argument here but what I reported was facts
>since they happened. I can only report on my experience with the
>available knowledge at the time.

You're a developer, right? Would you rather someone misrepresent your software
based on an unfortunately bad experience, or give you the benefit of the doubt?

>In some ways your explanation points out the problems, the talkback setting at
>the bottom of a screen that may have to be scrolled,

There's a scroll bar. Some settings in a long list are going to fall off the
bottom. Android puts the most commonly needed ones at the top. That's entirely
normal and reasonable. The scroll bar clearly shows any sighted user that there
are more things to look at.

What if the system clock is wrong? The button for going to the screen to set
the clock also often falls off the bottom and needs to be scrolled to. Is that
somehow biased against those who need to reset their device clocks? Will
Android only become mature when the button for fixing the time on the clock is
easier to find?

Where does one draw the line, here? The fact is that Android is a highly
configurable system. A consequence of this is that even the top-level settings
list is long. This doesn't in any way imply immature accessibility. It's just
that the accessibility settings are closer to the bottom because they aren't
needed as often, even by a blind user. Even blind users tend to only need them
at the start, to get the device configured, and then, even they end up
preferring the settings that are near the top to be where they are.

>the accessibility shortcut that may or may not be enabled.

This, too, doesn't imply immature accessibility. Everything in Android is
configurable. That's just one of the philosophies behind the system. Being able
to disable that settingh means that a sighted person can much more easily use
the device while still having it talk for a listening blind person.

>This would seem to indicate that the android accessibility is still in the
>process of maturing.

In your opinion! Again, you're stating your own opinions as though they're
facts. That's just neither reasonable nor fair.