[Loadstone] Porting to Android

Jacob Kruger jacob at blindza.co.za
Thu Oct 22 07:23:00 BST 2015

Shawn, on first startup of my current primary phone - samsung galaxy S5, I
just held two fingers on screen, and it started talkback by itself, but,
this does only work on the very first startup, and, I think, only for
certain phones.

Besides that, to activate talkback, I tell sighted guys to use a two
fingered swipe down from notification area, activate system settings,
accessibility, and turn talkback on.

Swiping left and right does navigate element to element - similar to tab on
a windows PC, and under talkback - newish versions anyway - you can turn on
screen dimming/hiding, etc.

I have pretty much avoided stock home screens from the start, and stick to
nova launcher, since I like, and am used to it's interface, and, yes, at
times graphics/icons/buttons are not labeled, but, you can then assign your
own labels to them, etc.

Main thing from my side is just the customisability, and variety of software
available for android platform that made me go for it in first place, along
with the fact that one of my deciding points was the availability of the
vOICe/seeingWithSound for android platform, including it being able to
render a tactile rendition of what's in front of the camera on the touch
screen, but, that's my own form of a side note...<smile>

In terms of different locations, for example, I have got both eloquence and
eSpeak installed on my android phones, and that means it can read text to me
in quite a few different languages if I want it to.

Also, to again bring up another point, I have been testing some entry level
handsets for a local service provider, and their prices range from ZAR 700
to ZAR900, which equates to roundabout USD70-USD90, but, they're by no means
limited in terms of functionality, but anyway.

The primary, possible issue with android phones is just that they're all
different, across manufacturer/model, so while basics are the same, you do
need to interact slightly differently with each model in terms of basic
functionality, but, then, of the software packages have been involved in
beta testing for, the interface seems to pretty much work the same across
versions, models, etc. etc., but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA