[Loadstone] Porting to Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 22 03:10:01 BST 2015

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2015/10/21 at 18:42 -0700]

>I have pretty much no experience with android but the one experience
>I do have was very negative. A few days ago I had an oppertunity to
>look at an android phone. This was the latest model from Samsung
>(galaxie I think). Even with sighted assistance we could not figure
>out how to turn the speech on. I have no doubt that most of this was
>user error but the fact that it couldn't be figured out is a big
>problem.

You had very poor sighted assistance, then. The first place that the sighted
person should've looked was in Settings. Had he looked there, he'd have seen
Accessibility. Had he looked in there, he'd have seen TalkBack, with an
enable/disable switch beside it.

To turn on accessibility without sighted assistance, hold the power switch for
about a second till the phone beeps. This brings up the global actions dialog
(which some people think of as the power off dialog). On that screen, hld two
fingers down till the phone begins to talk.

>Another example would be that android doesn't have a gesture to move from
>element to element to explore the screen (feel free to correct this if it's
>wrong) but you have to move your finger around all parts of the screen to see
>what's there.

That's simply not true at all. Swiping your finger to the right moves to the
next screen element, and swiping your finger to the left moves to the previous
screen element. You can disable this, of course, by turning Explore by Touch
off. :-) There are many more gestures than just these two. Also, yes, you can
explore the screen by moving your finger around on it as well, which is very
useful when you want to learn how various screen elements are positioned with
respect to one another.