[Loadstone] Porting to Android

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Oct 22 02:42:32 BST 2015

Allow me to clairify a few things. (a rather long message ahead)
When I say an unlocked phone I mean a phone that isn't locked to any
particular cellular carrier. Quite often if you get a phone on contract from
a carrier they lock it to there network. You may not even know they've done
this until you try to use the phone on another carrier. This applies to all
platforms, Symbian, Android, and ios. Getting the phone unlocked can involve
varying degrees of complexity, price, and success. Some carriers will unlock
it for a fee, sometimes you can use online tools, and sometimes a phone just
doesn't seem to want to unlock and you're stuck with it. The way to avoid
this is just to get an unlocked phone but that means buying the phone at
full price. This has nothing to do with installing third-party software on
the phone. Doing this isn't a problem at least for android and ios if you
follow the specified procedures. The only time this could be a problem is if
the cellular carrier has installed custom firmware that prevents certain
things. You may not know this either until you want to do something that the
firmware prevents.
When I use the term workaround I mean how much work does a person have to do
to make the device accessible and usable. When I say usable I mean as a
totally blind person being able to use the phone for all the functions a
modern phone is expected to perform.
Let me state for the record that I am by no means an apple or ios fanatic.
If I had my way devices would run text-based linux and phones would have
buttons and all these touch interfaces would be a bad memory. Unfortunately
we seem to be stuck with touch interface phones so we have to make the best
of it. The reason I moved from the nokia phones to ios was I was given an
iphone 4s with the idea of mayby doing a loadstone port.
My experience has been that Apple has done a pretty good job of making what
is basically a flat peace of glass accessible and usable to a totally blind
person. To get speech on an iphone or ipad all you have to do is hold down
the home button and say "turn voiceover on" and that's it. You don't have to
install any additional software or change the device in any way. This makes
it possible to use a friend or family member's iphone or ipad if needed. (To
confuse a sighted person just leave the speech on without telling them, for
additional fun turn on screen curtain) This accessibility is by no means
perfect, it has its share of bugs and glitches. Some of these are just
annoying, others frustrating, and others just mind-numbingly stupid. It's a
matter of how many bugs and glitches there are and the impact they have on
what you're trying to do.
I have pretty much no experience with android but the one experience I do
have was very negative. A few days ago I had an oppertunity to look at an
android phone. This was the latest model from Samsung (galaxie I think).
Even with sighted assistance we could not figure out how to turn the speech
on. I have no doubt that most of this was user error but the fact that it
couldn't be figured out is a big problem. Any access technology that needs
sighted assistence to activate really needs to be rethought. It's those kind
of things that cause me concern about doing anything with the android
platform.
When it comes to accessibility it really can be a matter of opinion as to
what is and is not acceptable to the user. From the information I've been
reading about android (I've tried to find information from 2015 when
possible) it would have issues that would make it unacceptable to me. Not
being able to turn the speech on without sighted assistance is a big problem
to me. Another example would be that android doesn't have a gesture to move
from element to element to explore the screen (feel free to correct this if
it's wrong) but you have to move your finger around all parts of the screen
to see what's there. On an ios device you can just swipe left and right to
move between all elements on the screen, a very useful thing in my opinion
and possibly a deal breaker to not have it. The review I was reading was
also giving other examples of possible problems, unlabeled images on the
home screen by default, things not being read in the correct order etc. It
was also suggesting some workarounds like installing another home screen
launcher to improve accessibility etc. Some of this would be a matter of
opinion, the reviewer's deal breaker was not having a screen curtain feature
where as I couldn't care less about this feature. Some of this could also
depend on the device used, another possible issue with the android platform.
When using ios the experience is pretty much consistant accross the entire
line of devices since they're all made by Apple. With android the experience
may very since different manufacturers make different devices. There are
good and bad points that can be made for both approaches but it is something
to be awhere of when choosing a platform.
As for the number of people using what this seems to be very region
dependant. In my case of friends and family in Canada and the UK the break
down is:
1 nokia phone (symbian series 40)
2 android phones (one samsung, not sure of the other one)
at least 9 iphones (models ranging from 4s to 6s)
at least 3 ipads (not sure of models)
This is admittedly a very small sample size but it does show the
differences.
As far as development goes the statistics I've been reading seem to say
something like 37% for one and 40% for the other (can't remember which was
which) so that would seem to indicate that it's pretty much even as to which
platform developers are developing for.
When it comes to cost there seems to be a huge range of options. For android
people clame that there are devices for $100 or less but it can also go up
to $550 or more. This would be because of the different devices by different
manufacturers. I'm not talking about second hand devices since the prices on
thoes can be hard to predict. The ios devices seem to start around $500 or
so and go up from there. The development costs for android are also cheaper,
around $25 or so for an app on google play vs $125 for an app on the app
store. The android development can also be done on a pc where the ios
development has to be done on a mac driving up the cost. This would make
android a cheaper platform but do you get what you pay for? It's back to a
matter of opinion on that question.
For more information on the focus of the fund raiser see my next message.