[Loadstone] Porting to Android

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Oct 14 00:35:28 BST 2015

Thank you for the offer, this actually sounds like a nice little phone so
I'll give it some thought. Unfortunately phraises like "it's not very
comfortable with talkback" cause me concern. The more I read about
accessibility and the android platform the more of these phraises I keep
seeing. Things like:
If you change the default synthesizer ...
once you change the default home screen launcher ...
depending on device selection ...
and android version ...
some applications are accessible but ...
there's a work around for ...
Then after every ... there's an explanation of something that might work or
partially work.
I found someone I know that has an android phone so I'm hoping to at least
get a look at it in the next week or so to either confirm or deny some
of these
things. I don't want to get in to a situation where I'm developing
for a device or platform that is only useful for loadstone or maybe not even
that. We made a similar mistake while developing loadstone for the nokia
phones. Most nokia phones were fine (for what they were at the time) but
then I was given an n97 mini for testing. This was a phone with a touch
screen and a slide out keyboard. The usability on this phone was absolutely
horrible. The combination of the symbian os, the touch interface, and the
support that talks had for it made the worst experience possible.
Ttechnically it worked and could be called accessible but practically
speaking the device wasn't usable for anything, loadstone maybe worst of
all. This phone now just sits on my desk and never got to the point of being
road tested with loadstone. The lesson learned here is that there can be a
very big difference between accessibility and usability and a device that
isn't usable just doesn't get used. If I'm going to spend the time effort
and money to develop for a platform then I want to make very sure it's
something I can actually use.
I'm glad to hear that development (at least eclipse) is accessible. This
would seem to put android and ios on equal footing in that area at least.