[Loadstone] Loadstone for iPhone fundraiser

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Oct 8 02:11:31 BST 2015

I haven't done any testing with android since I don't have any access to
android hardware. The nexus phones do look like pretty nice phones from what
I've read but they're not cheap. As far as accessibility goes, from what
I've read the choice of device does make a difference.
The nokia version of loadstone was programmed using linux. I access my linux
system with a dos terminal (actually dos running in a dos emulator running
under linux) using artic vision for speech. I've used this synthesizer for
years and like it. I could probably use eloquence to write code if I had to
but I think that would be kind of painful. As for using vocalizer while
writing code, I think I'd rather poke out my ears. The mac actually has some
pretty good voices I think I could get used to.
As far as when any kind of port will start at this point the answer is
never. The loadstone team (me and Monty specifically) don't have the money
to get a new port off the ground. That's the whole point of the fundraiser.
In order to develope a port for the iphone a mac is needed since the
development tools only run on the mac. We currently have iphones but not the
mac. In order to develope a port for android android hardware is needed for
testing since the development tools can be run on a standard pc. We have the
pc but no android hardware. Either way we're stuck.
In an ideal world there would be a loadstone port for the iphone and for
android since it looks like both platforms are going to be around for a
while.
As for donating to the project once it's started, that's very nice but kind
of misses the point and the problem. If any of these ports ever get going
the plan is to make them available on the respective app stores. So that
would be google play for android and the app store for the iphone. I'm
thinking the cost would be around $10 Canadian (not sure what that
translates to
in other currencies). This way the projects would be self-sustaining. But
without raising the initial start up costs none of these ports will ever
happen.
Maybe there really is no market for Loadstone. We had a rather large user
base when the program was free so it looked like there would be demand on
other platforms. The response so far seems to indicate otherwise. I can't
understand why since I haven't seen a program with the features that
loadstone has but maybe people are just happy with whatever they get.