[Loadstone] IPhone?

Dale Leavens dleavens at puc.net
Wed Mar 25 12:46:35 GMT 2015

So far I haven't been a big fan of touch screen GPS. It generally requires
two hands, one to hold the phone and the other to activate functions. In
cold weather there are clearly other challenges and so far, in my admittedly
limited experience and opinion none have worked as well. I was never a fan
of charging and carrying about a separate GPS receiver and I never did get
any good at the complicated means of getting maps onto my old Nokia N73.

All that notwithstanding Loadstone always worked well for me once I did get
a map onto my phone.

I expect dividing the face of an iPhone into 9 or 12 squares not unlike the
buttons of a phone numeric pad and following a similar interface as to the
original Loadstone might be made to work. If one had an easy current means
of updating local points of interest and internal map storage, even if,
every few hundred miles that needed to be updated for another chunk of the
country Loadstone could be a strong contender.

The interface on iPhones needs work along with issues of connectivity which
was a weakness of Wayfinder.

As I understand it, the developers of Loadstone are probably a little fed-up
with it and of course there are the complications of developing for the IOS
market. They probably could go Android with less cost and bother. I don't
have any idea how the blindness market is divided between Android and Apple.

Cheers.

Dale leavens.