[Loadstone] new loadstone alternative for Android

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Apr 30 06:42:09 BST 2014

Hello Kit,

as it's based on OSMand, I'm pretty sure it uses OpenStreetMap-Data as a
source for it's maps.

There is not much information about it on the website, but it is stated
that Osmand Access is based on osmand and contains the same features,
just extended by accessibility stuff.

Therefore some facts about OsmAND (the base variant, not the access
variant) for you. I didn't test the access variant and don't know if it
is useable or what's lacking there:

- OsmAND uses data from OpenStreetMap
- OsmAND uses vector maps stored on the device for map display and for
routing, although it's possible to use online routing and maps for
display, too - which is not the default.
- OsmAND in the base variant is able to do routing for pedestrians,
bicycles and cars and in my opinion does all three modes pretty good. I
think it's possible to define other routing profiles as well at least by
code, so they might have added - or plan to add - different routing
profiles for blind people.

About the question regarding loadstone databases and the conversion:
Loadstone databases are in fact a very restricted format of "maps". They
contain point-coordinates, but no connections between them.

A conversion as such therefore seems impossible, but OsmAND has a
concept of Favourites, which can be exported and imported via the GPX
file format and are points, too.
Therefore it should be fairly easy to convert a loadstone database to
osmand favourites.

regards
Peter