[Loadstone] [OT] Accessibility on Android 4.0, specifically Galaxy S3

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Sep 29 23:22:46 BST 2012

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2012/09/29 at 17:58 -0400]

>What device(s) did you test this on? I don't think any devices are yet
>shipped with JB apart from the Google tablet, right?

A Nexus 7 (which is a tablet), as well as a Galaxy Nexus (which I upgraded to
4.1 myself).

>I am a long time free software user and have no problem with helping a
>platform through its growing pains in any way I can; however, it is
>still critical for me to be able to use the basic features without too
>much hassle. Perhaps I had best wait for devices running 4.1 to come out
>before switching, always assuming my trusty E71 lasts till then.

Yes, were I you, I'd wait for 4.1 before switching.

Both the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus rely on an on-screen keyboard, which is easy
enough to use, except, as mentioned previously, for entering passwords as there
isn't proper echoing of what's being typed when doing that. I have a Bluetooth
keyboard, hwoever, which I've paired with the GN, and which I often use for
password entry. Fortunately, that doesn't need to be done very often as
passwords can be remembered.

Android allows keyboard apps to be written and selected. That might end up
being another project - a more echo-friendly keyboard.

>Loadstone is unique in its design and IMO fits the need of blind people
>extremely well, so an Android app employing the same philosophy would be
>very welcome.

Yes, I agree. The visual map approach is certainly the way to go for sighted
people, but it doesn't work well at all for those who can't see the screen. The
visual map software is good enough for instructions as you travel, but it's not
good at all, for a blind person, for browsing or just wondering where you are.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html