[Loadstone] [OT] Accessibility on Android 4.0, specifically Galaxy S3

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Sat Sep 29 22:58:08 BST 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 03:29:10PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by S. Massy on 2012/09/29 at 15:20 -0400]
>
> >I'm thinking of getting a new phone and am strongly attracted to the
> >Samsung Galaxy S3. I tried Android in its very early days (1.5) and that
> >was a disaster (I had to switch to  Nokia E71 running TALKS). I hear
> >accessibility on Android 4.0 (ICS) is getting pretty close; could anyone
> >confirm this? Does anyone have experience specifically with the Galaxy
> >line?
>
> ICS (4.0) is, in my opinion, not quite there, yet. you'll find it rather
After sending my query I stumbled on this assessment, which is indeed
rather discouraging:
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw130302

> frustrating. JB (4.1), on the other hand, is very accessible. The only two
What device(s) did you test this on? I don't think any devices are yet
shipped with JB apart from the Google tablet, right?

> areas which are a pain, in my opinion, are the map stuff and entering
> passwords. We can get into specifics, if you'd like. I'm just not sure how much
> detail you're lookig for, at this pint, hence, the quick summary.
I am a long time free software user and have no problem with helping a
platform through its growing pains in any way I can; however, it is
still critical for me to be able to use the basic features without too
much hassle. Perhaps I had best wait for devices running 4.1 to come out
before switching, always assuming my trusty E71 lasts till then.

> Android doesn't seem to have anything like Loadstone, yet, unfortunately, so
> I'm beginning to give serious thought ito writing such a thing for myself. It
> certainly has all the needed APIs, so it can't be that hard.
Loadstone is unique in its design and IMO fits the need of blind people
extremely well, so an Android app employing the same philosophy would be
very welcome.

Cheers,
S.M.