[Loadstone] [OT] Accessibility on Android 4.0, specifically Galaxy S3

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 5 18:48:47 BST 2012

[quoted lines by robhill at es.co.nz on 2012/10/06 at 06:38 +1300]

>It's also worth mentioning that the AGPS data need only be downloaded at
>reasonably long intervals (couple weeks to a couple months), so you're
>really not looking at a lot of data trafic here.

That's only true if the GPS is left on, which is rarely the case since it draws
so much power. The reality is that the AGPS data is downloaded each time the
GPS receiver is turned on, which ultimately means each time Loadstone is
started.

>Also, on the C5 at any rate, the assisted part can be turned off, and
>the GPS used as a standalone one.  This apparently makes it slower to
>lock on to satellites, but that's how I use it, and I find it
>satisfactory.

Without AGPS, the device needs to wait until it gets a good (error free)
download of the ephemeral data from the satellites themselves. It can't ask the
satellites to send the data, so it has to wait for the next time the satellites
send it. It also has to wait for an error free download. If it detects an error
while receiving the first transmission it sees, then it has to wait for the
next one and try again. That's why it takes longer. If you're in a bad spot
and/or if your hand or body is shielding your device's GPS receiver's antenna,
then there'll be more reception errors and it'll take even longer.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html