[Loadstone] [OT] Accessibility on Android 4.0, specifically Galaxy S3

robhill at es.co.nz robhill at es.co.nz
Fri Oct 5 18:38:40 BST 2012

> [quoted lines by rj on 2012/10/04 at 10:35 +0200]
> >On the site it says that the Nokia 700 has a stand alone gps while the
> >E6 and the C5-00 only have a-gps that needs data traffic.
> >There does not seem to be a phone with a stand alone gps and a keyboard.
>
> This, of course, is a Symbian (rather than an Android) issue. By GPS which
> needs data traffic, I assume it means Assisted GPS. Assisted GPS doesn't use
> much data at all. What it uses data for is to download the ephemeral data which
> it needs before it can start analyzing the GPS data.
It's also worth mentioning that the AGPS data need only be downloaded at
reasonably long intervals (couple weeks to a couple months), so you're
really not looking at a lot of data trafic here.

Also, on the C5 at any rate, the assisted part can be turned off, and
the GPS used as a standalone one.  This apparently makes it slower to
lock on to satellites, but that's how I use it, and I find it
satisfactory.

Rob