[Loadstone] [OT] Accessibility on Nokia E7

Miranda miran.woudstra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:11:52 BST 2012

Hello,

I have the E6 and not the E7, but as far as I know both phones have the same
processor and Symbian version. So I waited a few days to see if someone with
an E7 would reply to your message, but as nobody did, I will. I think my
experiences with the E6 will also apply to the E7.

I don't know what screenreader you use, Talks or Mobile Speak. I can only
comment on Mobile Speak because that's what I have. The E6 is very
accessible with Mobile Speak. I can do almost anything: view and manage
contacts, texting, email, web browsing, use Loadstone, etc. The touch screen
is
not accessible in the way sighted people use it, but I hardly need it
because almost everything can be done with the keyboard. However, Mobile
Speak has some commands you can only perform with gestures on the
touch screen, but those are very easy to learn. And if you want to start
playing a video on Youtube, you have to tap a big touch button which is very
easy to find.

As for third-party apps, some are accessible, some are not. A few accessible
ones are Tweets60 for twitter, WhatsApp and Nokia Internet Radio. If you
want to use Facebook on your phone, you can use the mobile site. The Ovi
Store itself is not accessible, nor are some other built-in applications
like Nokia
Maps. But then of course we have Loadstone. :)
Web browsing is very easy and smooth on this phone, but I think this is
mostly because of Mobile Speak's very good browser support. I have no idea
how this would be with Talks.

I hope this helps, and, if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Miranda