[Loadstone] Exploration mode again

Ari Moisio arimo at iki.fi
Sat Jun 9 04:29:17 BST 2012

Hi Shawn

My comments inline

  Shawn Kirkpatrick kirjoitti> I don't know what screen reader you're using but normally in exploration mode
> the cursor keys (the joystick) does nothing at all so should be silent if
> pressed. This is because a 4-way key doesn't map well to the 8-way directions
> in exploration mode.

I use Mobilespeak that will announnce content of the screen after keypress
and small delay so pressing the cursor keys will repeat the old screen
content. There is same issue with the shift key but that is not any  big
problem when one gets used to it. This is not a bug of mspeak  but instead
a feature.

Of course if the arrow keys are user definable at the next version  thisl
will solve the issue.

> As for entering exploration mode, when it happens is pretty obvious: when you
> hit the key to activate it (usually 0) or select it from the menu. The other
> way it's entered is if you hit select on a point when in a search. This is so
> you can pick a point and then explore around it. Either way when it goes in
> to exploration mode it actually says "exploration mode" I'm not sure how it
> could be much clearer.

If user for example presses the select button accidentally too long LS
will enter next time in a exploration mode. Also single announcement about
mode change could be easily missed on a noisy environment. Or user just to
forget to close the search result and press enter later to find the
nearest point. There  so many iissues user have to concentrate when
walking around.

I'm especially worried about newbies that wouldn't be aware of each
mode change and will probably even not use exploration mode  at first. It
really requires training to get used with it and when youre lost somewhere
thats not the best time to start learning it.

E-mode is nice to have in the coach when learning  some environment but i
have very rarely used it in the move. Searching  nearest or named points
had been been enough for me. In  fact only time i use the e-mode on the
move is when i use my route calculator that calculates the route from my
current location to e-mode location.