[Loadstone] mini HOWTO osm & Loadstone

rj rjonav at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 29 11:50:38 BST 2012

Hello list,
The online tool and the download tool from the ls site to convert osm
file to ls file did not work. It looks as if the script expects another
file tree than is in the package.
So you will have to get your hands dirty with commandline.
Here is a little

HOWTO

you can  download the .osm datafile from one of these servers

http://downloads.cloudmade.com
and
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

Unpack the downloaded file so you have an .osm file.

I haven't tried to split the files further. You need for example the
osmosis utility, more information at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis

Now you need the  commandline tool to convert the .osm file to ls file:

under Linux:
 download the source  with the svn command from:
http://code.google.com/p/loadstonetools/source/checkout

run the osm.py script from it.
        $python osm.py --help
this wil produce the manual
(When you start converting you will get a  ofileprmission problem for a
log file, it wants to write it to /usr ,  cd to an usb drive, run the
script from there and it will write the log file there, that way you
dont have to run the script as root.)

under Windows:
download the .exe from
http://code.google.com/p/loadstonetools/downloads/list

Install Python, a programming language. o
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/python-2.7.3.msi
(if you got the normal 32bit Windows)

More info about Python at http://www.python.org/

after you have installed this in a command promt run
      $  osm.exe -h

this will produce the manual for osm.exe so you can see what options you
need and the exact syntax for your command.

Now put the file on your phone and import it in Loadstone.

I converted the Netherlands with it under linux. The osm file was 10GB,
it took 2 hours to convert.
Import the resulting Ltos database into LS on your phone (it took an
hour)
The ls file with only intersections was 28Mb.
And it works nicely.

Hope this helps
Robert