[Loadstone] Future of loadstone after latest Nokia symbian announcement?

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Mar 31 20:50:37 BST 2011

Hi All,

Apologies for not posting as often as in the past but life has gotten very
busy.  I do however try and keep up with the lists and the Loadstone
project is still receiving attention.  Like any project being managed by a
small team, life sometimes gets in the way and progress can vary but I can
assure you that we're still pushing Loadstone onward and upward with no
plans of stopping.

I would also like to take this opertunity to clear up some
misconceptions..

Loadstone is in it's 7th year of development.  It has been developed
specifically for Symbian Series60 handsets which is a fairly complex O/S.
Because of this, porting it to other platforms would be cross between
nearly impossible and very time consuming.  So if Loadstone or something
like Loadstone is desired on another platform  (E.G Apple's IOS - with the
huge range of choice that comes along with that - yeah right) then
luckally Loadstone is OpenSource and someone can port it over.  I'm not
saying we wouldn't consider doing it if the price was right but that it
likely isn't going to happen any time soon for free!

As for the aligations and conjecture regarding Nokia..  Many people might
expect  me to have some non-public information.  If I were to, it would be
under NDA so I couldn't speak about it anyway but what has been tossed
into the public domain as fact is:

Nokia is still actively developing Series60 devices with 150
million  to 250 million still expected to ship over the next 2-3 years.
These devices are assumed to incorperate a range of input methods:
traditional keypad,QWERTY keyboard and touch-screen.  (choice is great
isn't it?)  Nokia has also stated that they will continue to sell handsets
running the Symbian Series40 platform well into the future with no plans
on end-of-lifing it.  Loadstone doesn't currently run
on Series40 but given they are the most popular handsets in the low/medium
range  I'm including for completeness.

Nokia is not panicking.  They made a business decision they hope will
increase their market-share  that will continue to keep them in the lead
of the SmartPhone race.  Accessibility aside, Windows Mobile 7 is a pretty
decent O/S and Microsoft promises that they will include accessibility in
future versions.  Do I wish they had included accissibility in WM7?  Yes,
but remember how much built-in accessibility the original iPhone and
iPhone 3G had?  Now, let's hope that future releases of Android include a
full-featured accessibility API  too!

Well, those are my personal thoughts representing only myself.  Time to
dive off my soapbox!

Regards,
   Monty