[Loadstone] loadstone on n97 mini

S. Massy lists at smassy.andropov.org
Thu Jan 20 00:30:34 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 07:42:42PM -0800, Shawn Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have one of these phones for loadstone development and you're
> right in that you have to have the keyboard exposed in order to use
> hot keys. The screen doesn't flip up like a laptop but slides
> sideways to the right and then you turn the phone to use the
> keyboard. When the screen is open it does tilt up slightly so it
> does make the phone a little thicker and bulky. I'm working on a
> method to use the touch screen on this phone but I'm not exactly
> sure how that's going to turn out yet. For the moment thoe I
> wouldn't recommend this phone for use with loadstone. It works but
> the user experience will not be what it would be with a traditional
> phone. I'd say this about the entire touch interface in general.
Are you aware of the solution the fellows working on accessibility for
Android came up with to deal with the whole touchscreen issue? If you
aren't, in a nutshell, wherever the user lays his finger becomes the "5"
of a numeric keypad, and then sliding the finger up, down, or diagonally
gets you the number desired. I owned a G1 briefly running their
"eyes-free shell" and, after a short readjustment period, I got to like
the concept quite a bit. Unfortunately, my carrier would not allow
updates past 1.5 and I was stuck with a phone which was mostly
inaccessible, so I got them to exchange it for a Nokia E71 with Talks.
Still, I thought this way of dealing with the touchscreen most
innovative and clever.

Cheers,
S.M.