[Loadstone] Why loadstone doesn't consider ways?

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Sep 22 05:43:30 BST 2010

What you're describing is not the results of how loadstone is receiving the
gps signals but is the result of the order of waypoints not being important
in a route. Loadstone just calculates what checkpoint you're currently
heading towards regardless if that's the next in the route or not. We plan
to put in ordered checkpoints in a future release.
Streets aren't stored for a couple reasons. The first is the limited
database engine on the phone. This is really limiting what we can do at the
moment. Also, street data isn't always available for a given area. It's also
possible that you're not in an area with streets so in that case having
street line data wouldn't help and would limit the system if it were
confined to only streets.
At some point we hope to replace the database engine with something better
and hopefully make some kind of use of street line segments if available.
Even with the current limitations loadstone is still quite capable of
letting you follow a route if it's planned propperly. If your route does a
lot of doubling back on itself then you may have to be a bit selective about
what points are checked along it. It's also not a good idea to have points
too close together or you're probably going to get false announcements.
Sometimes in a city you'll notice the heading will tend to spin at walking
speeds, especially with the new more sensative receivers. This will also
have an effect on what checkpoint loadstone thinks you're heading towards.
The best fix for this problem is to move faster or maybe turn on software
speed or heading and see if that helps.