[Loadstone] Monitering cell tower status

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Sun Oct 10 03:10:23 BST 2010

The no signal message does come up for sure if there's no sim in the phone
or the phone is in offline mode. It may think there's signal even if the
phone is saying 0 bars, this is just a percentage reading converted in to 7
bars. You may be in an area of signal but it's too low to be usable. I guess
the phone may just see the signal but not know if you can actually use it.
All this is rather hard to test, in my area it's rare if my phone's signal
goes below 7 bars. If you're getting a cell tower id then it should be at
least somewhat useful for navigation. You don't really want to depend on
cell towers for navigation anyway, this is very inaccurate. If you're
wanting loadstone to tell you if you have enough signal to make a phone
call it's just not going to do that. When it comes to phone calls you're
much better off trusting the phone application rather than a third party
application.