[Loadstone] A study help, how to improve navigation services for the visually impaired

Limin.Zeng Limin.Zeng at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Wed Nov 17 14:40:23 GMT 2010

Dear Loadstone users,

Thank you very much for your attention.

Are you using a navigation tool or going to use? Do you very satisfy the services? Or you have your voice to make navigation better? Yes, that is what we are doing and researching. Please read followings.

I am a doctoral student in Technical University of Dresden, Germany. And my research topic is about collaborative accessibility of mobile navigation for the visually impairments. I have paid my attention on LoadStone software for a long time, and appreciate highly the remarkable work of LoadStone team. Those days I am analyzing feedback from mailing list, we find out frequent 5 Top problems are GPS receiver connection, map data importing, data file converter, screen reader software, and route function. However, no many topics are related with collaborative community to share experiences, even if there is a point share exchange. For example, how to find the correct platform in a big bus or rail station at first time is possible via sharing some one’s experience who visited there before.

That is not only our research, but also it is a running project, which products a web site portal, applications on mobile devices finally. Right now, we almost finish a pilot project for Dresden city, and we hope we can extend our system to the entire world if the users support our methods and systems.
But we need your help to fill in a survey about the situation of your outdoor travelling, our new collaborative ways, and experiences of navigation system. Here is the link, https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFhqamJrQWZQTVJ4bm5CWlNWYjNteHc6MQ#gid=1. Its title is “A survey of outdoor travel for the visually impaired”, which has been tested its accessibility by several blind users in our team with screen reader Jaws.
We hope we can improve the performance of current navigation system with our research. And the real voice from the end users, you, will decide to how we continue our work. It just an online survey, which doesn’t involved with personal data. Please don't worry. Don’t hesitate to contact me, if you have a problem or some suggestions. My email: limin.zeng at tu-dresden.de.

Again, here is the survey link, https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFhqamJrQWZQTVJ4bm5CWlNWYjNteHc6MQ#gid=1 .

Best regards,

Limin Zeng