[Loadstone] suggestion for loadstone tools

Josh jkenn337 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:48:02 BST 2010

Hi

I have a suggestion for the loadstone offline tools, and the loadstone
command line tools createdby Lex I believe his name is.
If a programmer out there can make my suggestion a reality it would make
it much much easier for newbies to download maps and points of interest
for their areas.
Ok, lets combine the open streetmaps converter, the google route
generater, and the command line database importer mklsdb program with a
file zip/unzip utility. Let me give you an example of how the  tool
would work. You wantt a map and points of interest for a specific address.
1. go to the map-maker tool lets call it map-maker for now. It'll be a
link, it'll be an offline tool that accesses internet for google route
and pois generator and to get the openstreetmap data.
2. enter your address, hit next button on website.
3. it asks you how big of a radius, lets enter 99km.
4. hit next.
5. It asks you if you wish to plan a route and or add points of interest
from groute, now? yes or no button. hit yes.
6. enter starting and ending address. do the route planner in the normal
way. then hit next. it asks you if you want to add another route or more
points of interest from google route, if you hit yes it'll let you do
more, adding separate files and storeing them for zipping, later. you
can do as much as you want, adding different addresses, zip codes,
points of interest, countries and so on.
7. when done, hit finnish.
8. now sit back and wait a while. now a download page comes up asking
you to download maps.zip. while you wait the tool takes the following
actions. it separates the database ffiles and checkpoints files
containing any routes you may have fed it, into their own folders in
preparation for zipping, later. the wizard also has buttons for adding
nokia maps files csv files and stuff for conversion into databases.
ok so you ggave it all the info you want to. now as you wait the tool
separates checkpoints from databases, it takes the databases and imports
all of them into binary databases that loadstone can read. now after its
done doing that, it takes the maps folder containing both the original
text and binary files, unless you told the wizard to delete the text
databases, it takes the folder full of all the databases, and the folder
full of all your checkpoint route files you entered, and sticks them in
a zip file then gives you the download link. to make it even easier to
put maps routes and points of interest in your phone, it names the
databases folder, and checkpoints folder the correct names so all you do
is copy and overwrite the folders already there inside the phone.
file names:
this super loadstone tool names files like this. streetmaps are given a
name based on the address you entered. it names the files based on the
city, if none exists then it uses address line one as the file name. if
only a zip is given it uses that like reading.txt or 19988.txt . or
reading-pois.txt so you know that file contains points of interest from
groute. I am not a programmer, nor do I have the time as I'll be in
school very soon. oh and also the wizard lets you combine several
databases into one big database before converting to loadstone binary. I
think such a tool would greatly simplify streetmap data importing and
points of interest gathering. it would make it much simpler.

Josh

Josh Kennedy jkenn337 at gmail.com