[Loadstone] mailing list archives

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Mon May 10 09:49:31 BST 2010

Kerry, I agree with  you regarding list archives.  The system is far from
perfect and searching through nearly 8000 messages probably isn't the
funnest thing in the world to do.  A wiki might help somewhat but you're
right about up-keep and inclination.  More importantly people would need
to read the wiki and my life time of observations have taught me that
people want a quick fix and don't like reading.  Admittedly I too fall
into this category at times!

Podcasts might be a useful tool for some and we would definitely welcome
any useful/accurate podcasts if anyone has submissions.

I perhaps came across stronger than intended in my last post.  It just
came from reading what seems like weeks of posts from people that make
definitive statements as fact when really they are guesses or assumptions
that are quite often incorrect - there-by leading some folks up the garden
path or creating a lot of unnecessary work for people.

As an example, the Frequently Asked Questions page on the Loadstone web
site contains answers to many questions discussed on this list.  It is a
fairly short yet informative list of questions and answers:

http://www.loadstone-gps.com/faq

As an example...

Q: I just downloaded and installed Loadstone GPS and there does not appear
to be any map data?

A:  Loadstone GPS does not come by default with any mapping data. This is
because most map-data suppliers charge exorbitant licensing fees to use
their information. Instead we prefer to combine freely available mapping
data with points that Loadstone GPS users have created themselves and are
willing to share amongst the community. Our points database currently has
street-map information for most of North America, transport stop/station
information for the United Kingdom, and many other freely available points
of interest from all over the world. The Loadstone GPS community is always
adding self-created points And we will make more data available as other
Country's begin to release geographical data into the public domain. After
all, it is usually money from public taxpayers that fund government
Geographical information collection projects anyway!

Regarding changes from one version to the next.  Every new release comes
with a file containing release notes.  this file documents all changes
since the previous version and will quickly tell you what you need to
know.  Further information on how some of these changes work can be found
in the documentation.

Monty