[Loadstone] mailing list archives

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun May 9 22:46:33 BST 2010

Personally I have found the archives of any mailing list to be a difficult
resource to navigate at the best of times.

Whilst the archives themselves are easy to browse, the noise from new users,
(and the noise from long-time users I even point at this post for that) the
incorrect subject lines and the gems of information hidden in seemingly
unrelated posts are an obstacle to getting information in a timely manner.

We have mailing list archives for the Cisco academy for the Vision impaired
and whilst all the information is there, (no question about that) a user has
4 years of posts to sift through to find the good stuff.

eveng keying a search on keywords you think should exist might not yield
what you want.
It's a daunting task indeed for a new user to scan years worth of archives
in the hopes of retrieving a few gems of required knowledge that will fill
in the holes in their understanding.
Many projects opt for a wiki to combat this but that requires people with
the time and inclination to maintain it.

I recall feeling somewhat dispirited at the thought of re-reading the
documentation to find out what has changed since 0.69. I'll probably grin
and bare it but how many people won't?

I was thinking a few podcasts or audio tutorials might help a new user get
up to speed faster, at least get the users to a point where they feel
comfortable enough using loadstone to learn more.

If I record any i'll let the list know.
It has been my experience that no matter how much we rant rave scold scream
and complain many users don't learn well from written documentation.
They either want to be shown, have it taught to them or had their hand held
during the learning process.
This can be laziness sure, but often a more practical method of instruction
is how many people learn.

Also the "I want to know _now_" how to do this mindset in today's society
often undermines the learning process. It took me 2 days to get comfortable
with the basics of loadstone in the beginning, and probably 2-3 weeks to
really get the hang of the system and I learn relatively quickly generally
speaking.

I'm patient to know that things that are likely to change my life are going
to take time to learn and integrate.

I had no idea there were bus and ferry and train stops in the pointshare for
Brittain and i've been on this list since late 2006. I'll certainly take a
look through the archives and see what I find.
In Perth Western Australia there are few points in pointshare if any, and
whilst I intend to add some for many of us who have resigned ourselves to
living in an area with poor map data it's difficult to get the motivation to
look unless you know there is something to find.
For example openstreetmap has nothing in my area and the google stuff is a
recent adition.
Our points were done by hand on buses trains and walking for the most part,
with my partially sighted wife at the time putting them in with a bluetooth
keyboard.

We also managed points from the street directory extracting them with ozi
explorer. Not a task a new user is likely to undertake and impossible
without some sight.

Regards, Kerry.