[Loadstone] Loadstone PointShare/gRoute and databases

Jerry Matheny starnoble at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:11:20 BST 2010

I think the issue with us not getting many points is two-fold;
Loadstone is only on Symbian. I'm sure if it was available on other
platforms then there would be a much larger points and thus more
points. And another, there really hasn't been much discussion of the
best way to upload to Point Share Exchange. I'm guessing there isn't
really a universal accepted way to label points? I noticed that about
Open Street Map is that they are generally real good about labeling
points in the same way so that it is possible to search for
restaurants for example. I kind of wonder if Loadstone just adopting
the Open Street Map method would be best as there seems to be much
more data in that format, although there are a lot of duplicate points
for the same place which can make things confusing. I usually end up
importing an OSM database and then just using the points I wanted
anyway. So not really sure what the best idea would be.

Sorry for this rambely message, but just trying to get these thoughts
out there to get opinions.

The other thing is check lists. It's so hard to have to go through
databases and check points. I guess check points are seperate from the
database? meaning the point doesn't have to be present in both. Or
does the same point have to be in the database so that it is
searchable? That allways kind of confused me. What's the best way to
handle all this confusion? Maybe a podcast of dealing with all this
would be beneficial to all of us, then we'd all use everything we
have.

Thanks for developing Loadstone. Even with as little as I know
Loadstone has still helped me.