[Loadstone] Loadstone PointShare/gRoute and databases

Sean Randall seanr at randylaptop.com
Mon Jul 19 11:44:51 BST 2010

Monty,

One of the things that puts me off about the point share is the fact that
it's so overwhelmingly huge, I think.  I use 3 databases with my loadstone,
at the moment.

My default is the local walking one, as it were.  I haven't shared this with
the community because unless anyone wants to come walk to my house it's of
no use to anyone.  In fact there are only three or four points, but our gate
is one of them and it's very useful to know when to stop jogging if I'm out
for a run.

The second database is my local bus stops.  I used the PSE to get some, but
others are almost spontaneous - we're quite rural, the drivers tend to stop
when they're flagged down and so I've had to put in more landmarks than
stops, to be able to ring the bell to get off. Of course as I use more local
services I add more points.

Third is my UK Railway stations, to which I linked ages ago on the list.
The share has most if not all of these too.

This keeps things quite modular for me.  I load up loadstone, walk to the
bus stop, load the bus database, if I then catch a train I switch that one
in. I have a "Hereford" point in the railway station database, but also a
"Hereford" for the bus stop I use most often.  Because they're separate, the
names don't conflict.

If I had all the points I used loaded all of the time, Loadstone would
respond quite slowly when searching.  If I named the points more exactly,
it'd take so much longer to read the names of them that I may well end up
missing a stop.  This is why I like having discrete places for each type of
point that I want to use.

Everyone's different, of course - people have been posting here about having
state-wide databases with all the streets and intersections.  I'm sure that
works well for some, it's just not the way I like to do things.

What is the policy with the point share.  Should I upload my bus stops as
they are? "Memorial, Whitecross" is not a very descriptive name - if it
wasn't in a "bus" database you'd have no way of knowing what it represented.
Similarly, you could go too far the other way - "Memorial bus stop,
Whitecross, Herefordshire,, UK" seems a tad too verbose. I suppose my
question really relates to categorisation and taxonomy, but as it's very
much a personal preference as to how people want to sort things, it's a
difficult one to answer.

Am I being thick?  Should I not segment things in such a way? Am I the only
person who thinks downloads of databases as well as individual points or
searches is beneficial?

Sean.