[Loadstone] To the grout author, are there any plans to open source grout?

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Jul 9 12:17:39 BST 2010

Hello Grzegorz, and all,

It is nice to see the community developing applications, tools and
solutions to enhance the usefulness of Loadstone.  Community involvement
is something we feel quite strongly about.

The current issues faced by the gRoute folks are issues we the Loadstone
development team also have had and continue to have.  There are at least
two issues with using Google maps.

1.  There is a limit to how many addresses (or points of interests) a
particular IP address can access per day.  This is the problem that gRoute
encountered.

2.  There is a bit of a legal grey area when it comes to mobile devices
accessing real-time map data from Google maps.  I will let people far more
qualified than I to comment on this but it certainly is a concern.

I think having folks register for the gRoute service is probably a good
idea so the script can keep track of who is using it and how many requests
are being generated.  You could then lets say as an example limit the
number of address lookups to 1 per minute and 60 per day per user and keep
within the daily query limits per IP.

Alternatively, there might be a way to have the script execute javascript
on the phone which will originate the Google Maps query from the phone's
IP rather than a particular server's IP.

Of course there are also ways to make a script only accessible by mobile
devices rather than
any random machine on the Internet.

I think open-sourcing the script would be a good idea.  This will allow
others to improve it plus make any decisions regarding hosting a service.

Best regards,
   Monty