[Loadstone] Interesting observation on altitude.

Farfar Carlson dgcarlson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 21 17:13:23 BST 2010

Can be. Depends on your receiver. Also note that in the triangulation method used by satellites to find position, the most accurate, due to the angle of elevation, is the ex-y coordinates on the surface (lon and lat).

The least accurate, again due to the elevation angle of the satellite constellation will be altitude (the z-axis). It's very hard to get a good altitude measurement  when you're looking down at a point on the ground. All the factors of delay in signal propagation will stack up to reduce precision.

Based on trigonometry the most accurate measurement of altitude would be a constellation of satellites sitting on the earth's surface, and looking "up" at the GPS receiver. That's not the way orbiting satellites work, I'm afraid.

Dave