[Loadstone] will groute be back?

Laura Glowacki orangebutterfly87 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 00:31:53 BST 2010

Have you gone through the new user getting started guide? You can find it
at:
http://www.loadstone-gps.com/docs/manual/getstart0.html

There are several ways to get POIs:
the Point Share site
the OpenStreetMap project
groute? (again, not sure since I've not used it)
and the internet at large is a great source for various POIs.  Sadly, every
website I've seen so far provides vast lists of POIs in a given category and
not separated by city or smaller geographic areas.  For instance, one can
find a a file of POIs for all of the Jewel Osco grocery stores in the state
of Illinois in the US.  However, perhaps I only visit one or two locations
of this particular store in my city.  I've determined it to be a pain to
simply go through and delete every single other POI out of the list besides
the one or two that I need.  This may be worth it if you have to find a
particular place and can download the POI list before hand.  It is simply
one more option.

If you are having trouble accessing something specific, let us know.  We may
be able to help you better if you ask a more specific question about a
particular feature or thing you want to accomplish.

If you are simply asking which of the above mentioned methods for obtaining
POIs is better, I think it's more personal preference.  I've so far only
used the OpenStreetMap project database and it has worked wonderfully for my
purposes over the past 2 months.  I'm quite familiar with the major streets
near where I live, but less so with the side streets which start and stop
sometimes.  Thus the OSM project tells me what intersection I'm at, and this
has been enough information for me to get most of the places I've needed to
go so far.

I understand that many of us on this list aren't native English speakers.
Please feel free to ask me for clarification if something I say just doesn't
make sense.  I only wish I knew enough to communicate better in a different
language.

Best,
Laura