[Loadstone] Question about importing databases

Elliott Barnes elliottabarnes at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 21:17:32 BST 2010

Hi Shawn,
While it is true that these two options are both outlined in the
documentation, I personally feel that it doesn't make it clear as to
what the difference is. Would you be able to clarify the differences
for me?
As to what I did about adding the database and getting the error, I
did the following.
1. Open Loadstone, and select the "Add Database" option from the Database menu.
2. Navigate to the directory where I had previously stored the LDB
file, and select it. I then received the "creating new database"
message.
3. After nothing had happened for about 15 minutes, I pressed my down
arrow (not select, but down). Loadstoen then crashed, and my only
option from there was to re-open it from my "Installations" folder.
INterestly, upon viewing the properties of my main database, it would
appear that it was mast modified on the twenty second, which was the
last time I added points. Taking this into account, this suggests that
no points were added. However, I'm still wondering what Loadstone was
attempting to do when I selected the database, and after receiving the
"adding database" message. If it helps, I was trying to use the
database that contained the train stations, that was posted to the
list a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks a lot.

On 29/04/2010, Shawn Kirkpatrick <shawn at loadstone-gps.com> wrote:
> The difference between import and add database is explained in the
> documentation. These are two very different functions.
> As for your database being damaged, without knowing the exact steps you took
> it's hard to say. It's also hard to debug this situation to determine
> exactly what happened. If you could provide more detail about what you did
> then it could be tested to see what exactly happens in this situation.
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Elliott Barnes wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, I've got a question about importing databases. I've just
>> selected the add database option, and selected an ldb file. I was told
>> that a new database was being created. Ten minutes later, nothing more
>> had happened, so I hit my down button and Loadstone crashed. I then
>> tried again using the import database option, which worked. So I've
>> got two questions. What's the difference between add and import
>> database, and could my main database be damaged due to Loadstone
>> crashing when I selected the add database option? Thanks guys.
>>
>> --
>> Elliott.
>>
>> Contact info:
>>
>> Skype:
>> bigboy11111
>> MSN/Windows Live:
>> elliottabarnes at hotmail.co.uk
>> Website:
>> http://www.elliottbarnes.net/
>> Twitter:
>> http://www.twitter.com/elliott94
>> Blog:
>> http://www.elliottsblog.info/
>> Last.fm profile page:
>> http://www.last.fm/user/elliottbarnes
>> Facebook:
>> http://facebook.com/elliott94
>> Mobile number:
>> +447526601203
>>
>> Tune into ROFL Radio - your portal to the latest music.
>> http://www.elliottbarnes.net:9100

Elliott.

Contact info:

Skype: