[Loadstone] loadstone and mobile speak

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Apr 17 06:10:12 BST 2010

[quoted lines by David Mehler on 2010/04/16 at 20:46 -0400]

>Still not getting a signal with my phone's internal gps, i've let it
>wait longer than 2 minutes. I'm wondering if it's not going out?

WEel ... you got me curious so I did some more experimenting. I think one
fundamental problem with these phones is that so much electronics are packed
around the GPS receiving antenna that it just doesn't work as well as one might
expect. Also, the typical way one holds ones phone tends to obscure the
satellites from the internal GPS receiving antenna's view. If the phone is in
your pocket or on your belt then your body will act as a rather significant
ground. If you hold your phone face up in your hand then your palm will tend to
cover the antenna.

Each model is different, of course, but I suspect it's reasonably safe to
assume that the internal GPS receiving antenna is toward the back of your phone
since the front tends to be fully occupied by the keypad, display, etc. For the
best results, therefore, what you need to do is hold your phone (or lay it on a
table) face down. This way, if it's in your hand then your palm isn't covering
the antenna, and there's a minimum of obstructions between the antenna and the
satellites. With my phone face down in my hand, and only using the internal GPS
receiver, my phone syncs up in about three and a half minutes the first time,
and in just several seconds after a short disconnect/reconnect cycle.