[Loadstone] loadstone and mobile speak

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Apr 17 02:13:07 BST 2010

[quoted lines by David Mehler on 2010/04/16 at 20:46 -0400]

>Still not getting a signal with my phone's internal gps, i've let it
>wait longer than 2 minutes. I'm wondering if it's not going out?

You're simply not patient enough. When I've tried out the internal GPS receiver
it's sometimes taken over an hour. Note that that's when I've selected
"Integrated GPS", which means to strictly use the internal receiver. If,
instead, I select "Assisted GPS", it works a lot faster.

>When i first selected the gps the phone prompted me to allow the program to
>access the internet, i said yes, then i was presented with three choices for
>access, one medianet was what i chose, maybe i should have chosen one of the
>others? I'd like to clear that choice and try another, not sure where this is
>at.

Before trying to fix that setting, first check to see if you're using just the
internal receiver (on my phone that's "Integrated GPS") or if you're using the
"Assisted GPS" setting. The latter uses the internet to help the receiver get
organized. I haven't ever checked out what that exactly means, but I suspect
what it does is download the ephemeral data from a server rather than wait till
a good copy is received from the satellites.