[Loadstone] Fixing browser repetition with Talks: was file browser for N86 with Talks

Sean Randall seanr at randylaptop.com
Thu Apr 1 21:28:32 BST 2010

Hello,

Here are instructions on fixing the repeat announcement   of the focus
within Y-Browser.  These work well with my Nokia 6730C (3rd Ed. Fp2), talks
v 5.003, and Y-Browser v 1.005.

Problem: when the path to the focused file or folder becomes too long to fit
on a  line in Y-browser, the text continuously scrolls, causing Talks to
think there's new text and speak constantly, making navigating through deep
directories almost impossible.

1. Load up Y-Browser.

2. Navigate to a folder or file where talks starts repeating things.  This
is often a fairly deeply nested path, for example
c:\data\others\loadstone\checkpoints.

3. Press talks and long select to load the object viewer.  The repetition of
the focused file will stop when the object viewer loads.

4.  Cursor down to "subtitle" (followed by your current path), and press
select.

5.  Cursor down to "Role Subtitle", and press select.

6.  here you can change the role of the item.  If you never need to use it,
set to ignore, or if you occasionally need to refer back to it, I have mine
set to status.  Either way, select  your desired role and press select.
Tip: talks and long key2 reads what you have assigned as status in an
application.

7. Back up out of the object viewer and you should now only hear the focused
item when it changes.

HTH,

Sean.