[Loadstone] loadstone and symbian OS

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Sep 11 23:45:07 BST 2009

I'm going to put this topic to rest by saying that this just isn't going to
happen any time soon. We have no intension of phasing out the symbian
version of loadstone.
Symbian signing is a real pain but only for us developers, the users don't
notice. Buying talks is a bit expensive but since the phones can be had
fairley cheap the costs even out and you don't need a contract.
I think the real big problem would be the touch screen. I can't see how a
touch interface could possibly be better for a blind person than individual
buttons. It's interesting that apple has gotten speach to work with a touch
interface but I really doubt that'll replace the standard buttons anytime
soon. Even if everything does go touch eventually would this be any faster?
If the iphone and itouch already have a mapping application why would you
need loadstone?
As others have pointed out the iphone doesn't beat a symbian phone on cost.
If I remember correctly the sdk to develope for it isn't free either and I
think you need to have your application approved by the apple store.
As far as the technology goes the iphone doesn't offer anything new except
for the touch screen. Most of the features have been available on nokia
phones for around 5 years now.
Loadstone is opensource so if someone wants to try porting it to the iphone
or any other platform they're more than welcome to try.