[Loadstone] @ vs x

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Oct 29 16:23:29 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I think what we should consider here is that the "@" sign isn't
technically correct for representing intersections (junctions/cross-roads
or whatever you want to call to intersecting roads) in English/North
America/United Kingdom either.  As an example... In Canada the word "and"
is usually inserted between to names of roads to represent an
intersection.  The same is often true here in the UK.

The fact is that weather it makes sence in English or any other language,
we needed a way to represent intersections in Loadstone.  The "@"
character seemed as good as any and did at least make sense in English to
some degree.  I suspect that it should mean a reasonable amount of sence
to non-English speakers as well since anyone with an Email address is
familiar with this character and what it means:

Email: Username belongs or has a relation to a domain.
Mapping:  Road (A) belongs or has a relation to road (B).

This is how the Pointshare represents intersections and this is what
Loadstone uses too.  The great thing about freedom is that people can
create all kinds of wonderful tools and modify Loadstone in all kinds of
wonderful ways to meet their own needs which is fine by me!

Just my 0.2 in your local currency...

Monty