[Loadstone] error when converting osm file

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Sat Oct 17 23:06:14 BST 2009

Well, the last line of that traceback says memory error so I'd guess you're
running out of memory. The tools try to pull the entire file in to ram to do
the conversion. Just turning up your virtual ram size probably isn't going
to work. You still need code in real ram in order to run.
The time out error with the php converter is probably because it's taking
too long to convert and the browser times out waiting for it. To work with
files the sizes you're trying will require lots of cpu power and memory.
Like I said before, your state is covered by the point share, at the very
least you'll get all the intercections. The point share is our official data
source, not osm. If you still need more than the point share can provide
then at the very least tell your osm download to filter out what you already
have. The data from point share is already in loadstone format so all you
have to do is import it in to loadstone on the phone.
Try loading your data in reasonable chunks, start with your current city and
load what you actually need. If you need all points running in loadstone for
some reason then you can have it load multiple databases. You'll find the
more data you load the slower it gets. Once the speed drops to an
unacceptable level you'll learn just how much data you can have loaded at
any given time. Remember loadstone is running on a cell phone, not a pc. You
only have maybe a little over 300 mhz processor and limited memory to work
with. Have a look at the loadstone docs for the recommended database sizes,
we didn't just make those numbers up for fun, they have a good reason for
being what they are.