[Loadstone] big 2.7gb osm file

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Sat Oct 17 03:49:40 BST 2009

You're just not going to be able to convert something that big with the
current tools. Even if you somehow did the resulting database would be huge
and would take forever to import in to loadstone. If by some chance you got
that to work the resulting loadstone database would probably be too big for
loadstone to use with any degree of speed.
Why are you trying to convert pennsylvania from osm? I'm pretty sure that's
one area covered quite well by the point share. Trying to fit an entire
state in to loadstone just isn't going to work well if at all. You're better
off loading data for your city or places you're likely to go. If you really
want data for an entire state then you would want to split it in to some
kind of logical units. Maybe all points for each city in a database or a
database for streets and another for points or some combination like that.
Downloading all these 2 gig files is also not a nice thing to be doing to a
free service like osm. If you need data download what's likely to work, not
something that we know won't.