[Loadstone] OSM converters and enumerate points.

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Sun Oct 11 06:34:53 BST 2009

Hi all,

Now that the Python converter also works here I took the chance to compare
this tool with the converter as offered by the off-line tools. As a test
file I used the wales .osm file (134 MB) to get a good comparison for
speed. The file can be downloaded at:
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

The PHP converter takes 10 minutes 35 seconds to process this file, the
Python tool did it in 7 minutes and 35 seconds. Not the 'lightning'
improvement I expected, but still a 40% speed gain. However, the PHP
converter gives a result file with 33020 points, the Python result only
contains 17530 points. It seems to me a lot of data loss against 40% speed
gain. Unless the Python tool improves in point extraction I rather wait 3
minutes more. While testing I discovered that both tools do not restrict
the name field to 75 chars, this has been fixed in the PHP version in the
off-line tools. Also updated is the database reprocessor, it now has the
ability to enumerate points with equal names according to position. For
downloads of the updates go to:
http://www.rmpro-hosting.com/ls/

Rob