[Loadstone] Hike Update

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Thu Oct 1 05:01:21 BST 2009

Dear Fellow Loadstone Users:

Please accept my apologies for this off-topic posting.  I am starting to get
sponsors for my planned hike of the Appalachian Trail to demonstrate the
independence of persons with visual impairments and the value of adaptive
and assistive technology to the blind community in particular and persons
with disabilities in general.  As you know, I plan to make a documentary of
this event.

We are getting some interest from outdoor equipment manufacturers, including
Granite Gear and Big Agnes.  Does anybody on this list know someone I could
contact at either Nokia or Kurzweil Reading Technologies?  Do any of you
have any contacts with sellers of adaptive and assistive technology?

I currently use a Nokia N82.  I will carry a Nokia 6680 as a backup.  I
think this project could represent good publicity for both Nokia and
Kurzweil Reading Technologies.

I hope it increases donations for Loadstone GPS.  I believe Loadstone is the
most cost-effective GPS program available today for users with visual
impairments and compares favorably to anything on the market.

Thank You,

Mike Hanson