[Loadstone] Feature suggestion: automatic database handling for external map data

arimo at iki.fi arimo at iki.fi
Fri Nov 20 05:49:29 GMT 2009

Hi

   Now when LS can keep open severan databases i'll suggest following
feature for large  map databases loaded from OSM or similar sources:

- Map data is divided into smaller rectangular areas, for example 1/100 of
degrees. This value could be user definalbe according  features of the
phone  how densely area is populated with POIs. 1/100 degree will provide
about 1.5 kilometers (almost a mile) visible points for each direction
near the equator.

- The area where user currently is located and  it's eight adjacent areas
are kep
open.

- When user crosses the area boundary more than about 100 meters
appropriate databases areclosed and openet to reflect new location.

- In exploration mode open /closed status is also update regularly.

- User's own points are kept in separate database to  make it usable for
searches for longer radius.

  With scheme like this one can download much larger databases and let LS
automatically swithch between them instead of manually downloading  ,
importing and opening separate database for different areas.

  Yes,  I know LS is open source but I'm not a Symbian programmer.

--
mr. M01510 & guide Loadstone-GPS