[Loadstone] introduction and some questions (openstreeatmap and loadstone)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 02:30:32 GMT 2009

Hi,

I am new here and before anything else some introductions.  I am
Maning Sambale from the Philippines and I am a contributor to
openstreetmap in my country.  I also compile GPS Garmin Maps based on
openstreetmap data and distribute them for free.  Several days ago,
"two blind guys" asked if I can help them develop a "map" of the
Philippines they can use for their mobile phones.

Loadstone seems to be a very good option and I tried the
loadstonetools' osm python converter last night with very good
results. Being a non-blind person I would like to ask  and verify my
assumptions on how blind guys use GPS (apologies if my assumptions are
wrong, please correct them as you wish).

1.  interpreting road information in contrast with the usual
navigation devices are different with how blind people use them.  Most
of them are pedestrian users therefore routing is different. What
important road information should be added in  openstreetmap
(intersections, pedestrian crossing, sidewalk)?
2.  The level of mapping detail is also different, for example certain
POIs maybe very useful for navigation for the blind.  What and how
POIs should be mapped in openstreetmap?   For instance, we have some
building polygons, it maybe useful for navigation. But most of the
time, nodes are in the center of the structure.  I think it would be
more useful if we can do routing to the entrance of building.
3.  Pedestrian navigation requires a more precision and accuracy than
the usual road driving navigation.  What consumer GPS models can you
recommend?

Some of my inquiries maybe answered already so please point me to the
appropriate thread.

--
cheers,
maning