[Loadstone] Groute - google route generator for Loadstone

Grzegorz Złotowicz grzezlo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:47:04 GMT 2009

Hi,
first of all excuse me for the removal of the tool, but publication by
myself part of google license and letting groute still work, would be a bit
inconsequent...
There is a problem if the usage of groute in loadstone is or is not the
violation of the license, because generated file can be used during the live
navigation, and the file is derived using the google maps service...
But the question is, why such simple tool is so important for us, as a blind
users community of Loadstone? I know the answer, as all of you too...
I see two possibilities of further moves...
1. I wanted to publicate the source code of script, and write in the license
that it initially was written to optain data from google maps, but because
it can't be probably used because the Google license, I'm publicating it for
an educational purposes only, because this simple script demonstrates some
basic aspects of php scripting, such as: xml parsing, multilingual
interface, forms processing and connecting via http with an other server...
To test if the script works after your modifications during scripting
experiments, you can install some http server on your computer, or use some
tool which doesn't require installation, for example the microweb server
used in the loadstone offline tools...
2. Second idea which I'd like to share i found few minutes ago:
Blind users in fact have no possibility to see the google maps, and use it
in the same way the sighted computer users do.
But, using the exploration mode of Loadstone, user gets interesting and
unique possibility of looking at the map in some way, and as such - doing
nearly the same thing that the sighted user legally does - simply looking at
the google map, not using it in live navigation.
So, google maps is as is, the loadstone lets you see it in the exploration
mode, and groute is a simple reprocessing tool, which gives possibility to
generate a file to explore.
So the ls works as a viewer, and groute is a renderer, which simply makes
the viewing possible for blind.
So groute in connection with ls form how to say... an accessibility plugin
to google maps, nothing more...
So: we can generate a route, reprocess the google answer, prepare a file for
the user...
User can download the file, copy it into Loadstone, and look at it in the
exploration mode.
However, using the file in the navigation mode can probably violate the
google license, so isn't recommended and allowed.
What do you think about it?
Greetings, Greg.