[Loadstone] self-voiceing loadstone

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Nov 4 01:29:20 GMT 2009

there are no plans to make this happen. The idea is somewhat interesting and
making the main output window talk wouldn't be that hard programatically.
Making the menus and other dialogs talk would present a lot of technical
problems thoe. Someone would also have to port espeak to symbian. I've never
found the quality of espeak to be very good but it is fast and light weight.
The idea of loadstone is that if you're going to carry a cell phone anyway
then you'd most likely want to use all the phone's features, not just one
program.
You're right about the cost of a screen reader but wrong about the cause.
The synthesizers available seem to be around $50 (at least on the pc) so
that's not the main cost of a screen reader. I personally think that screen
readers for phones are being sold wrong. If I were the makers of talks I'd
try to get a licensing deal with nokia to have a copy of talks on every
phone sold. I think they'd make much more money this way and every phone
would be accessable out of the box. This will probably never happen but we
can wish.
I can't say I'll shed any tears over the fact you find it hard to sell
loadstone/phone/talks combos. If you really want to get in to that business
then become a talks dealer. That way you could get talks at a discount and
bring the price down a little.