[Loadstone] more POI questions.

Brian Giles briangiles7 at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 00:36:10 BST 2009

Hi all,

Are any of you getting businesses in the POIs close to you? I don't get
hardly any, and I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm doing
wrong, or if the data is just not available.

I used the geocoder to get open street map files for all the zip codes in my
city (Ogden, Utah). I did get all the street names, a few churches, some
condomineums, and even a few specific sites on my university campus, such as
the bell tower, the library and the football stadium. So then I went to
gps-data-team.com and tried getting some community POIs from there, thinking
that'd fill in at least some of the gaps. All that got me was a bunch of
ATMs.

I get the impression that it's not generally a good idea to get POIs from
the point share site by location since the files are so big and I'm only
interested in stuff that's close to me for now.

Anyone know another way I can try and get more POIs near me, like
restaurants and stores and things like that? Or is that kind of info just
not available where I am and it applies to other GPS software?

Thanks,
Brian