[Loadstone] another way to get poi's and maps?

Brian Giles briangiles7 at hotmail.com
Thu May 21 18:07:11 BST 2009

Hi all,

First off, I'm new to the list. I decided to try out loadstone after I heard
that blind cool tech podcast, which was awesome!

I've only been playing with it for a couple days, and I'm trying to get a
good list of poi's that is around me. I'm a newbe at the whole GPS thing,
but I thought that was part of the appeal of it.

I registered for the pointshare website so I could see if I could get some
map data there. When I chose "get data by civic location", I couldn't get
the combo boxes to speak so couldn't do that. So I used the geo coder to
find my long and lat, and entered that into the point share website. That
gave me a map with all the streets which I do think it was supposed to do.

Then I went to www.gps-data-team.com <http://www.gps-data-team.com/>  to get
some nokia landmark (lmx) files for poi's in my area. Then I used the nokia
land mark converter to turn them into files that loadstone could use. I've
found it to be hit or miss though. Some of the files will convert, but with
others I get an XML error.

 I converted one last night, and on the page that came up where I download
the converted file it said 73 points were converted. When I imported it into
loadstone though,it said 0 points added and 50 points ignored, or something
to that affect. I don't know if it was supposed to do that or not.

Is there a more efficient way to get map data into my phone? I've been using
that gps-data-team.com site to get pois for all the restaurants that sound
interesting to me, and running them through the nokia landmark converter.
Not many show up in loadstone though, and certainly not any that are close
to me when I know there are. I don't know if that has to do with the poi
file or loadstone converting it. Is there a way I could get a list of points
of interest in general in my area? I would of course have to limit it so
loadstone could deal with it, but it'd be a lot easier than having to
convert a lot of files.

I'm using an N82.

Brian

MSN: briangiles7 at hotmail.com