[Loadstone] Loadstone point share

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Fri May 15 15:44:44 BST 2009

Hi Kate,

In the case of the latitude/longitude pair of coordinates I referenced in
a previous message, the rough location of that point is:
54 Farringdon St, City of London, City of London EC1A 2, UK

I'm sure the Loadstone documentation covers this better so I would
recommend you read it but briefly...

Latitude is a distance measurement going from South to North on the globe.
Each latitude is a degree and there are 90 going from the equator north
and 90 going from the equator south.  Any latitude south of the equator
has a minus sign preceding the value.  So, London is near/around 51.517
(I'm guessing your location in Cornwall is somewhere around 48/49)

Similar to latitude measurements, longitude is also measured in degrees
and there are 180 east of the Greenwich meridian and 180 west of the
Greenwich meridian.  (Greenwich as in a district in London)  Longitudes
west of Greenwich are negative and longitudes east of Greenwich are
posative..  The -0.105 longitude I referenced is likely about 10 KM  west
of 0 located in Greenwich.

The Loadstone tools page on the http://www.loadstone-gps.com web site
contain applications that will return a latitude/longitude pair of
coordinates for a given address.  This The geocoder will take your address
as input and return the related coordinate pair.

Best regards,
   Monty