[Loadstone] Assisted GPS and data usage

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Mar 25 22:31:21 GMT 2009

In the case of the internal gps receiver and agps for agps to work it needs
a data connection so it can download the data from an external server. This
data is the efemeris data so the receiver can get a signal faster. I don't
think it needs a constant connection thoe. If there's no data connection
then it falls back to regular gps. The data connection has to be using the
cell network for some reason, a wifi connection won't work. This is
according to both the n82 and n95 manuals. I'm not sure how you'd be able to
tell if agps is being used or not, maybe the only way to know would be if a
data connection is being made.
This agps system would help getting a signal faster, not with real time
signal correction. For that you'd need waas/egnos and I'm not sure if the
phone's internal receiver supports that.