[Loadstone] Viewing a route

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Mon Jun 1 20:14:29 BST 2009

Hello Przemyslaw,

> OK, I was thinking of Google Maps, because - in contrary to OSM - points
> from GeoCoder include house numbers and city names, and they are more
> accurate.

This is simply not true.
OSM data does contain house numbers and city names - Like everywhere only depending on the contributor, if he/she has added them or not.
As city names are imported from open geo DB I guess they should be complete in most parts of the world.

The accuracy has been tested and is about the same as navtec and teleatlas maps (where mapped).

> But of course, for viewing a route taken from NMEA file, OpenStreetMapa
> would be a good solution, especially if you need some info about crossings.
> If I understood it correctly, NMEA files should preferably be converted
> into GPX format.

That is the prefrerred format for importing tracks into OSM, right.

> There is:
> http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
> or
> http://richard.dev.openstreetmap.org/upload.cgi
> I downloaded a program called JOSM:
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/download/josm-latest.jar
> but can't read out all the messages.
JOSM is the most popular editor for OSM data. I am afraid it is not useful to convert track data into text description - It is used to copy geoinformation from the track to the OSM database and add text description.

> Are these links useful for transforming NMEA into a descriptive route?

GPSbabel is useful for transforming NMEA into gpx and it has a command line interface.

> Or I should use different methods?

The usecase you have is similar to routing. You have a lot of points that could be used as via-nodes for routing.

So if you could extract some points from your track, you might want to try
http://www.openrouteservice.org/ (Europe only, unfortunately)
At least you should be able to get a text routing description for start and end point.

Please let me know how accessible the page is, I will forward suggestions.

More online routing solutions are found here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing/OnlineRouters

Regards
Lulu-Ann

--
Nur bis 31.05.: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate und
Telefonanschluss nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02