[Loadstone] Openstreetmap

Barr, Les lbarr1 at cox.net
Tue Jul 7 01:38:24 BST 2009

Hi Shawn,

Maybe someone else can answer whether RFB&D, the U.S. Library of Congress,
etc., as a courtesy actually first asks "permission" from the copyright
holder before digitizing recordings for distribution, but I am under the
impression recordings made for the purpose of distributing to persons with
blindness or print disabilities were legitimate legal exceptions to
copyright, as long as the original copyright notice was displayed.  AS we
know, once such books or information are distributed, technically anything
is copiable.

Similarly, schools copy everything to text books, magazine articles,
digitized recordings, and anything and everything under the "fair use
doctrine" exception to copyright, and without being required to obtain
leave/permission to copy and distribute.  Why wouldn't digitized street map
data similarly be excluded under the fair use exception when the data was
intended for use by blind persons to educate themselves about public streets
and points of interest for knowledge and personal safety?

Have either Nokia and/or Garmin Maps expressly refused Loadstone users
access to map data for use with LoadStone GPS software?

Thanks for the discussion,

Les