[Loadstone] Internal vs external receiver

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Jan 30 22:46:08 GMT 2009

As far as I can tell the gps is not in use if not being used by any
applications. I have it enabled on my n95 and haven't noticed any effect on
the battery if it's not being used by any application. I haven't done enough
testing with the internal receiver to know for sure what effect it has on
battery life when in use. If your battery is only lasting a little over a
day then you're either making heavy use of the phone or you need a new
battery. If you have wifi enabled then this will cause your battery to drain
faster. On my n95 with the wifi disabled I only have to charge it about once
or twice a week.
The internal gps receivers are based on the sirf 2 chip and don't seem to
give the same performance as the newer sirf3 or mtk chips. I'd say it's a
good backup receiver but you probably wouldn't want to use it as your
primary receiver.